The Revival - Era Choice

ANNOUNCEMENTS from the community team, including staff changes, bug-fixes, and site related changes.

Poll: What era should the revival take place?

Legends New Republic Era
17%
Canon New Trilogy Era
No votes
Hybrid Galactic Civil War
No votes
Hybrid Immediately after Battle of Endor
67%
Other (Please post and specify)
17%
Total votes: 6

Aeaolen Kicka

The Revival - Era Choice

Post#1 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:47 am

"Don't call it a come back!"

It seems as if Star Wars: Galaxy has a heart of it's own. Interest has sparked and members have approached and discussed with me, as well as others, the chance of a revival of Star Wars: Galaxy. Despite it's relative age, SW:G members want to potentially see a revival.

I've laid out the era choices. Please if you have other ideas please let us know!
"An Empire is never peaceably acquired or maintained. It is willed into existence. We are that will."

Vald Dimma
Writer

Re: The Revival - Era Choice

Post#2 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:59 am

I really like the hybrid post ROTJ idea, you could come up with some interesting and cool things with that.

Aeaolen Kicka

Post#3 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:02 am

Vald Dimma wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:59 am
I really like the hybrid post ROTJ idea, you could come up with some interesting and cool things with that.
I agree. I think that era allows us the chance to blend Canon and EU from Legends and forge a new story.
"An Empire is never peaceably acquired or maintained. It is willed into existence. We are that will."

Lilyanatos
Writer

Post#4 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:46 am

Not that i have anything wrong with any of the other's that are sitting there. However, i think we can actually roll with something that speaks to the new trilogy and makes it better in a way. Keeps true to how things are supposed to work. Allowing us to basically make it a hybrid of all three or four. EU and Legends along with the original trilogy along with throwing some new stuff into it.

Or starting it just before the start of the new canon so to speak. Start it far enough back that the events can lead into or stop events of the new canon. It allows for people to play canon should you want the use of some canons on seen. it gives people a chance to explore say Finn before he defected and while he was being brainwashed to be part of Phasma's elite. Allowing people to mess with such things.

I have no problem starting at hybrid start right after the battle of endor but to me that seems like some of the same old things could happen. After all if we start right after. its the birth of a few canon characters. Its a sort of watching older ones turn older. Its a sorta well it seems though many things can be done in it to be a bit lack luster and i'm not sure that many people will join as i have known few sites to actually hit it off with things such as that because the veer to off canon so to speak or things just don't make sense.

Looking at it from this perspective i'd be like cool i can play so and so or i can make an original but because i know what's happening in the galaxy it becomes a sort of how do i interact with this person and this person that's in the canon etc.

Now making it on a planet and not the galaxy as a whole or doing something in that right has to be made in very interesting parts. Or focusing less on what we all know is to come and making it fun to not have it follow those same lines. the whole What if the first order never comes to me. Etc. What if the new republic fails in its own right and some other governing body is what makes the deals etc. I think that would get some people here. but alot are seeking out star wars that keeps with the new canon etc. Granted i hate disney with a passion but understand what they are doing. I just have issues with some of the way they are portraying the force or they are being hypocritical of things that they say. Or they place things in they know we know as fans and tease us but go no its still part of legend even though it was eluded too etc. but i digress.

Anyways i seem to have written a novel on this. I also know that people would not be so happy to play in a world where jedi are literally gone so to speak. Obvious a hand ful of a few but there are people that that's all they want to do in starwars and ROTJ limits that. Sure luke is looking for his students and all that but still. That doesn't mean there were a plethora of them running around right after the battle of endor. Like he had to actually search them down along with still learning about the force himself. So there is also that one needs to consider. There are other force traditions that don't get alot of credit or even really talked about but they are out there. And ways for the force to help itself in a way. Hence the awakening. So again it limits the force users as being more force adepts and even at that time it was not an okay thing.

Okay i promise i'm done. Just food for thought.

Aeaolen Kicka

Post#5 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:25 pm

Thank you all for your continued contributions!

It appears that thus far the most popular is a hybrid (mingling of Canon and Legends material) set immediately after the Battle of Endor.

Jolan Saris
Advanced Writer

Post#6 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:38 pm

I can tell you that I'm an acquired taste and the only real joy that comes from Star Wars for me anymore is Star Wars Old Republic. That's purely because it's the only place where I can play out my flights of fancy with re-guards to massive amounts of force users dukeing it out. Having said that, the reason I find it hard now days to enjoy SWRP is that the elements that made the movies so exciting for me are lacking in most boards. I get that personal and very intimate storytelling is what drives character development, but for me, that constant and innate state of the chaos of war is what keep me coming back to a SW board. If the galaxy...was plunged into chaos and war following Endor...or some variation of that, honestly and realistically, you have me for a solid few months of RP. Couple that with the release of new content from Disney, I could go on longer. My thoughts.

Aeaolen Kicka

Post#7 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:42 pm

Jolan Saris wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:38 pm
I can tell you that I'm an acquired taste and the only real joy that comes from Star Wars for me anymore is Star Wars Old Republic. That's purely because it's the only place where I can play out my flights of fancy with re-guards to massive amounts of force users dukeing it out. Having said that, the reason I find it hard now days to enjoy SWRP is that the elements that made the movies so exciting for me are lacking in most boards. I get that personal and very intimate storytelling is what drives character development, but for me, that constant and innate state of the chaos of war is what keep me coming back to a SW board. If the galaxy...was plunged into chaos and war following Endor...or some variation of that, honestly and realistically, you have me for a solid few months of RP. Couple that with the release of new content from Disney, I could go on longer. My thoughts.
I agree. I recently started playing Star Wars: The Old Republic and it's really driven me for a more action-packed, albeit story-driven adventure!

Aeaolen Kicka

Post#8 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:56 pm

These are two quick proposals that I drew up based on votes of the poll.
A Shattered Galaxy

A month after the Battle of Jakku, 5 ABY

The Battle of Endor saw the near collapse of the Galactic Empire, worlds were torn asunder in fear and massacres spread throughout the galaxy. The Battle of Jakku however was the nail in the coffin for the Empire, a vast majority of the Imperial Military was centered around Jakku and was defeated in a phyrric victory for the fledgling New Republic. Now the galaxy remains in tatters, the New Republic scrambles to mop up the dead after signing the Galactic Concordance with Grand Vizier Mas Amedda and giving up Coruscant to the New Republic. Despite some reservations Luke Skywalker has taken up the mantle of Grandmaster of the New Jedi Order and has set out to train a new era of Jedi Knights to protect the New Republic from threats foreign and domestic.

However despite the defeat of the Empire's most unified front...that was not all Imperial commanders. Thousands of Imperial ships still reign throughout the galaxy with the Empire now fractured and breaking down entirely, Imperial leaders throughout the galaxy area planning for their self, no longer an Emperor. As the New Republic conquers worlds throughout the galaxy they are learning more and more about the Empire and Emperor Palpatine's plans. Rumors are about that Dark Jedi, fallen Jedi exist throughout the galaxy and are seeking to destroy or convert Luke Skywalker to their side. The Emperor's former advisors plot and plan against the New Republic and others to carve a slice of the galaxy for themselves.

In the wake of the oppressive fist of the Empire, dozens of criminal gangs such as the Black Suns and the Hutt Cartel's have risen to fill the vacuum where the Empire has been left. In a galaxy that has been shattered by war...will you become a hero or a villain of this saga?

Proposed start date: 5 ABY

Proposed factions:
1. New Republic
2. New Jedi Order
3. Imperial Remnants (not a unified faction but various holdouts after the Battle of Jakku)
4. Fringe

A Shattered Galaxy

6 months after the Battle of Endor, 4 ABY

The Emperor and his feared apprentice Darth Vader are dead. The Galactic Empire is in shambles, a contingency operation known as Operation: Cinder has been reaping havoc on the worlds of the Galactic Empire; the precise nature of the operation is unknown and the fledgling New Republic struggles underneath the weight of the decisions in protecting former Imperial worlds from the Empire. While the Galactic Empire remains in some ways in tact as an entity, the Empire has almost entirely collapsed in on itself and descended into various warlord factions who want to carve out a piece of the galaxy for themselves. While the Empire might not provide a "central" threat, the Galactic Empire provides for a large swathe of Imperial ships and military equipment in the hands of warlords who want their own Empire.

While the New Republic struggles to militarily match the might of the former Galactic Empire, Jedi Luke Skywalker has taken up the mantle of Grandmaster of the New Jedi Order and has pledged to train a new era of Jedi Knights to serve as "Knights of the New Republic". Grandmaster Skywalker has setup a Jedi academy on Yavin and has actively begun exploring the galaxy in search of a new class of force sensitives to act as his first class of Jedi Initiates. The New Republic seeking to expand itself and eventually capture of the crown jewel of the galaxy, Coruscant but efforts made have been futile as the Empire has done all it can to retain its grip on Coruscant through force and coercion. Divisions within the New Republic have already begun to show as new Senators are calling for a more aggressive military campaign against the Empire while others wish a more moderate, diplomatic approach however both groups are firmly dedicated to the New Republic.

The New Republic and the remnants of the Empire are not all that are competing for the spotlight, rumors are that Dark Jedi or fallen Jedi once held through the will of Emperor Palpatine are now surfacing and wishing to conduct their own operations for a part of the galaxy. Information has been scarce but reports have surfaced and New Republic Intelligence is actively working to chase down these leads. While the New Republic and the remnants of the Empire are in total chaos, the underworld has become alive in the wake of the Empire's grip on the galaxy loosening. Black Suns, Hutts, Pirates all have stepped up their activity in the wake of the power vacuum left by the Empire.

In a galaxy shattered by war...will you be a hero or a villain?
Proposed start date: 6 months after the Battle of Endor, 4 ABY

Proposed factions:
1. Galactic Empire
2. New Republic
3. New Jedi Order
4. Fringe

Ghinn Rast
Bounty Hunter

Post#9 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:30 pm

As a returning member, I'm looking at the separation of the Jedi and the Republic as a potential weakness in the cohesion of plots. While there is no rule forbidding characters of differing factions interacting, there has always been a sort of unspoken culture about it, and while this RP is likely not going to follow the movies in a clear cut "Good guys v Bad guys" mentality between the Empire and the Republic, there is unlikely to be much interaction between the two sides that are friendly.

I suggest combining the Jedi with the Republic as that has always been somewhat traditional and it gives the Jedi some more comfortable room for social and professional interactions with non-Jedi characters that are likely to have impact in the overall plot.

And on the subject of plot, is there going to be a structure or framework for story in this revival or is it going to be another attempt at "the players drive the plot"? There is a fine line between a successful "player action and activity determine the big events of the forum" versus "the only things that happen are what players make happen", and in the case of the latter there has always been a high degree of Main Character Syndrome where everyone wants to be Qui Gon, Obi Wan, Vader and Han Solo and no one wants to be Porkins.

Return to “Staff Announcements”